The FMSEA 2014 Conference is almost upon us! I hope you will be joining us in Panama City Beach, FL on April 25 – 27, 2014. The Conference Committee has been working hard and has some great things lined up for the weekend including field trips, a SciCafe at Gulf World Marine Park, concurrent sessions and exhibit hall at Surfside Middle School and the Year-End Banquet and Awards Ceremony at Advanced Technology Center of Gulf Coast State College. Below are some details about Elections and Awards for FMSEA 2014.
Our Board of Directors, as in other organizations, does the majority of the work of the organization during its meetings. The Board meets several times a year at locations across the state and the meetings are open to all members. Taking place over a weekend, the extended time allows the board to fully cover the many items on the agenda, as well as take-in some behind-the- scenes exploring of the host site for our annual conference. There are a number of FMSEA Board positions up for election this year:
- Regional Directors: Panhandle, North and West Central regions (map of FMSEA regions)
- Regional Directors (RD) are clearinghouses for information about marine science education events, activities and opportunities. RDs create and support training and professional development opportunities and work to nurture and actively grow that professional network of marine science educators that is FMSEA’s single greatest benefit. RDs must attend and contribute to all Board Meetings.
- The FMSEA Secretary must attend all Board Meetings and is tasked with recording, preparing and distributing the minutes. Secretary is also responsible for maintaining Board policies and maintaining compliance of the Standard Operating Procedures.
- The President-Elect serves for one-year as the de-facto vice president, filling in when the FMSEA President is unavailable, before assuming the office in the following year. The President-Elect also collects the nominations for the next round of elections and awards.
If you are interested in running for one of the positions listed above, please contact Kasey Gaylord-Opalewski at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are really excited about this year’s FMSEA Service Award and the John Beakley “Marine Science Educator of the Year” Award. Join us in Panama City Beach to congratulate the recipients!
Don’t forget to tweet, post and Instagram anything and everything FMSEA 2014 using #FMSEA14. See you in PCB!!
FMSEA SOUTHWEST REGIONAL UPDATE – JANUARY 2014
Manatee, Sarasota, Charlotte, Glades, Hendry, Lee, Collier
HAPPY NEW YEAR! Here is an update for the Southwest Region featuring events from Sarasota County Schools, Charlotte Harbor National Estuary Program, Bay Guardians, Mote Marine Laboratory and more. Remember, if there are events in our region that you’d like to see promoted here, please let me know. Also, if you are having an event and would like someone from FMSEA represented there, I can help you with that too. Thanks.
rd-southwest @ fmsea.org
(941) 388-4441 x 250
[click to continue…]
Did you know that FMSEA awards scholarships to educators every year? Individual Scholarships will be presented to FMSEA members to attend either an environmental professional development program or a professional conference (including the FMSEA annual conference). Awards may cover registration, travel or accommodation costs. Applicants are encouraged to secure matching funds from sources other than FMSEA.
Scholarship Applications are due 60 days prior to program/conference for which you are applying. Submitting an application does not guarantee funds will be awarded. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Scholarship Application Deadlines for Major Conferences (60 days prior):
- FAST 2013 Deadline: Monday, August 26, 2013
- Conference October 24 – 26, 2013 (Miami, FL)
- NSTA 2014 Deadline: Friday, January 31, 2014
- Conference April 3-6, 2014 (Boston, MA)
- FMSEA 2014 Deadline: Friday, February 21, 2013
- Conference Dates TBA (Panama City, FL)
- NSTA STEM Forum & Expo Deadline: Monday, March 17, 2014
- Forum May 14-17, 2014 (New Orleans, LA)
- NMEA 2014 Deadline: Wednesday, May 21, 2014
- Conference July 21 – 25, 2014 (Anapolis MD)
All award winners must agree to:
- acknowledgments of FMSEA support in all activities related to the funded program,
- file copies with FMSEA of all products/projects generated by the program,
- a short, written report on the program/conference for the annual FMSEA Journal or present a session at the first FMSEA Annual Conference after the completion of the project.
For more information and to apply for a FMSEA Teacher Trust Fund Scholarship, visit fmsea.org/membership/awards.
The FMSEA Board of Directors voted to establish an environmental education trust fund at its October 10, 1993 meeting. The fund is in support of staff development which includes teacher in-service training and enhancement. A special thank you goes to R. Duncan Matthewson for his efforts in helping to establish this fund.
Have a fin-tastic day!
Kasey Gaylord-Opalewski, FMSEA President-Elect