2012 Annual Conference
2012 Annual Conference:
May 17-20, 2012
University of South Florida
Saint Petersburg, FL
As the Florida Marine Science Educators Association celebrates its 44th year anniversary, we are thrilled that you are here to focus on coastal science and issues that impact Florida! Through inspiration and dedication, FMSEA educators strive to impact the next generation of scientists, activists, and caring citizens. This conference is the perfect opportunity for you to share your excitement about marine science with others who share your pas- sion for the natural world.
Conference sites include the beautiful University of South Florida St. Petersburg campus, our host hotel, Hilton St. Petersburg Bayfront, the kick off President’s Circle event at the Hangar Restaurant and Flight Lounge, and the iconic St. Petersburg Pier, where we will vie for auction items at the Pier Aquarium and enjoy our closing banquet at Jonny Reno’s.
We have a great conference planned for this year. Our Opening Keynote Speaker will be Pierre-Yves Cousteau, President of Cousteau Divers USA.
Our Closing Keynote Speaker will be Dr. Ellen Prager, President of Earth2Ocean and author of the book Sex, Drugs and Sea Slime.
Important Conference Information
- Conference Program [PDF, 1M]
- Schedule [PDF, 180K]
- Field Trip Options [PDF, 1.35M]
- Concurrent Sessions [PDF, 54K]
- Call for Presenters Form [PDF, 1.4M]
- Student Presenters Form [PDF, 41K]
- Exhibitor Registration Form [PDF, 2.39M]
- Silent Auction Form [PDF, 1.27MB]
- Summary Abstract Instructions [DOC, 209K]
Online registration has ended. Onsite registration begins Thursday, May 17 at 5 PM at the St. Petersburg Bayfront Hilton. Check the Conference Program for additional registration times and locations.
|Onsite Registration||$190||Starting May 17|
|HS Student Poster||$35||no early or late rate|
Full registration includes FMSEA t-shirt, special conference items, Friday Evening Social, all Saturday sessions, Saturday lunch, and evening dinner. Additional tickets for guests can also be purchased for both the Friday Social and Saturday dinner. See the registration table for costs, details, and availability of tickets.
Your name badge is required for entry into concurrent sessions, exhibit areas and other confer- ence-related activities. Please wear it at all conference events.
Election ballots are included in each registration packet. Please be sure to turn your ballot in by 4:30 PM on Saturday. Election results will be announced at the banquet on Saturday evening.
Auction Items may be dropped off at the Registration Table at the Hilton on Friday or at Davis Hall 130 on Saturday. If you haven’t already done so, please be sure to submit a donation form with your auction item(s). All items must be received by noon on Saturday.
Event tickets that were purchased for additional guests will be issued with registration badges. Tickets will be required for the Friday Social and Saturday Banquet.
Presenters and Technology
Presenters: please have any slide presentations saved to a thumb drive or other portable storage. The USF St Petesburg classrooms have Windows PCs with Internet connectivity available for your use. Wireless connectivity will also be available. Connection information will be available at the registration table.
The hashtag for this conference is #fmsea12. Please use this for your social media postings and any online documents.
Please visit the Exhibitors below in our Exhibit Hall, located in Davis Hall, Room 130. Exhibit Hall hours are on Saturday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM.
- Current Publishing
- The Global Gecko
- Florida Aquaculture Association
- Guy Harvey Ocean Foundation
- Florida Public Archaeology Network
- Sensing Nature, LLC
- Florida Tropical Fish Farms Coop Store
- Tropical Aquaculture Lab Association
- Conference Committee Co-Chairs: Lauren Tyler, Howard Rutherford
- Registration: Mellie Lewis
- Hospitality: Rosalyn Kilcollins
- Food: Tim Oldread, Heather Segura
- Lodging: Howard Rutherford
- Field Trips: Tristin Ware, Lauren Tyler
- Concurrent Sessions: Ann Marie Shields
- Speakers: Howard Rutherford, Lauren Tyle
- Volunteers: Kasey Gaylord-Opalewski, Heather Segura
- Silent Auction: Brandon Smith, Valerie Gaynor
- Exhibits: Diane Bassett
- Publications and Signage: Laura Diederick
- Evening Events: Howard Rutherford, Laura Diederick, Lauren Tyler
- Technology: Jason Robertshaw, Heather Judkins